"I've always tried to do pictures that don't date. I always go for simplicity."
The english photographer was surrounded by films at a young age as he recalls his family "would take bread-and-jam sandwiches and go to the cinema every night...I'll bet I saw seven or eight movies a week." He went on to be contracted as a fashion photographer for British Vogue magazine in 1960 resulting in 800 pages of Vogue editorial in one year. American Vogue's director Grace Coddington spoke about him, saying; "It was the Sixties, it was a raving time, and Bailey was unbelievably good-looking. He was everything that you wanted him to be – like the Beatles but accessible – and when he went on the market everyone went in. We were all killing ourselves to be his model..."
In his career, Bailey has worked with many well known figures such as The Beatles, Kray twins, and Andy Warhol and in 2001, as part of the Queen's Birthday Honours, he was awarded a CBE for services to art.

No comments:
Post a Comment